Sunday 17 November 2013

Welcome to Play a Day!

I've tried before to get into Drama School. It was largely promising until eventually one let-down was just a bit *too* unfairly personal and I lost my nerve. That was about 5 years ago. I've learned a lot since then, and while I didn't think I'd be coming back to the game, something snapped. I was in recovery from surgery to fix a ruptured disc when I discovered the Hollow Crown series. I've never engaged with the History plays before. And then something wonderful happened. Jeremy Irons slapped Tom Hiddleston, and I felt the slap. It told me, "What have you been doing all these years? NOTHING. Wasting valuable time you should have been doing the only thing you've ever cried at losing." So. I'm back on the horse, so to speak. From now, through 2014 and into the start of 2015 I'll be reading, watching or otherwise engaging with an entire play, every day. I can revisit plays within that time, as long as I get something new out of it (for example, reading something, and then perhaps a few weeks or months later watching it on stage, maybe at some other point browsing film adaptations to see how the script and acting changes... but I can't just rewatch one film over and over just because it's got eye candy in the lead role!) I have started a facebook group (playaday2014) which will contain links to the scripts (if they are available online) or places to buy books/films/tickets, and brief interjectory comments through the day. At the end of each day I'll come back here and post a more coherant account of what I've observed, learned and felt. There may also be some reviews, links, long term objectives and such, and they will be tagged appropriately. Without further ado, grab a cuppa and a script and put those feet up lest you break a leg. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment