Sunday 1 December 2013

Day 15: Henry IV, part i, by William Shakespeare (BBC Hollow Crown adaptation)

This is technically not a first viewing... in fact, it's the one that got me to start thinking about getting back into drama again. While in recovery from surgery, I came across the Hollow Crown series and I'll admit, approached them with mixed feelings. There's a lot of names I know and love in the cast of all 4 of these films, but I had never read or seen any of the plays before and had actively avoided engaging with any of the histories as a kid. I think that was mostly to do with not really liking History as a subject (I didn't like English as a subject much either but that was more to do with a teacher I've mentioned before, and my love of the theatre and performing pretty much got me through that).

What I found, as a first taste of these plays (I think I'd seen some clips of the more famous Henry V speeches and such, but not the whole thing) was nothing short of captivating. I can't really compare the adaptations to anything else, but from what I've found with various interviews and reviews I've watched over the last few weeks (and some of them again today) it seems that my impression of the reputation of those plays when I was at school and avoiding them for it still exists... or at least did until these films were made.

So, leaving aside the general comments about the series, I'll turn to the specifics of this play. I've talked about the "wayward son" character before and this is pretty much the showcase for that. Prince Hal does a lot of growing up through the course of this play, but it's actually pretty early that the first inkling that he plans to change his ways eventually shows itself - in this version it's a voiceover but he's talking about having fun and playing while he can knowing that the change will be noticed, and suggesting that being royal when the time comes will be all the more celebrated when his youth is there to compare to. Naturally that's precisely the opposite to what his father thinks as we later find out in a spectacular fight between two very talented actors. But they reconcile their differences over the idea of going to war against Hotspur and those first hints that Hal's starting to leave his old life behind creep into the way he talks to Fallstaff before, during and after the fight. We also get a glimpse of the old King's failing health which sets up part two.

As far as female roles go, there's not many long speeches and probably the most likable woman is Quickly. I'm not really old enough to play her, but the performance here is some of the most naturally spoken (female) Shakespeare I've heard. Again, the allstar casting here helps immensely, but it's also the fact that when the lines come from a character who isn't meant to be courtly, or lovesick or otherwise waxing poetic, I think they tend to read as easier to speak naturally. That's true in any case though, not just Shakespeare... it's just a bit more obvious when the whole thing is in older language than it would be in a modern play. Watching politicians or similar today they still use a lot of long-winded addresses and titles and forms which you wouldn't use among friends in a pub...and Shakespeare doesn't really populate his taverns with many women.

No comments:

Post a Comment