Monday 23 December 2013

Day 37: Appointment With Death, by Agatha Christie

The next installment of holiday murder mysteries, this time on holiday in Jerusalem. This one has similarly detailed set requirements, the more I think about that I suspect it's a hangover from the majority of Christie's work being prose rather than script. There is one character with a written dialect accent, which normally annoys me but it's kept to just a minimum required to remind the reader of the accent, so it doesn't slow things down too much. I do sort of feel like it should be left to the actor rather than written in, in general.

Once again I find myself drawn into interesting character backstories and clever twists. This time we're really not given any pathos for the victim whatsoever - she's a thoroughly awful human being all the way through, and the end is both fitting and horrific. There is the insinuation that most of the surviving characters go on to at least have a chance of living happily ever after, which is a relief. It's very easy to quickly start to care about these characters from the outset, one of the things I think makes a great script.

No comments:

Post a Comment