Thursday 12 December 2013

Day 26: The Importance of Being Earnest, by Oscar Wilde

This is a play I will admit to knowing, but having no love for. There's something about the era, and general attitude that just annoys me about almost all the characters involved. There's not really much commentary I can give as to why - there's a minimum of stage direction set into the script, a fairly strong sense of backstory and reasons for each of the characters to be as annoying as they are. Most of the plays I've covered so far have inspired wandering thoughts and reflections - pretty much the only thing this set me to thinking about was performances of the play itself, in particular one my friends were in at university. I'm not sure if I'm missing a broader point, but the story does seem to be mostly fairly shallow and lacking in any real message. I'm not the type who really gets the point of smalltalk though, so this one was probably always going to be lost on me. There are some good lines, and certainly opportunities for slightly over-the-top character acting. It is just otherwise mostly an hour or so of setting up a rather bad pun of a punchline. I almost want to apologise for not getting it, not liking it, and not finding more to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment