Saturday 15 February 2014

Day 86: Day off/EAS class

We had a stand-in tutor tonight, who works in forum theatre. Our focus for the evening was discussing and expressing the concepts of survival, resistance and thriving, and within that a focus on physical tableau and body language rather than speech. Working through Plays for Today by Women and also Other People's Shoes as I currently am, it was an interesting practical session which coincided perfectly with my current reading. I am increasingly feeling that 2 hours is a short session for fully exploring each new idea we're given. Recognising that, it makes it all the more important for me to keep up my notes after class, so that I can come back to them when I meet each idea again in a longer form in the coming years. Today I certainly felt a little bit behind, as much as I tried not to show it and it wasn't commented upon, but my trust in my physical masks is lacking. In the past I've not really thought much about it, trusted that if I could think hard enough about what I was saying and its context, that the face would show what I needed it to. Movements might be copied from observing friends or other actors, but never in front of a mirror, just moving according to an image in my head. I'm not sure where the concern that what I want to show might not come through has surfaced from, but I've been noticing a similar worry in my rehearsals for the Shakespeare certificate. I hope we can cover more non-verbal activities in upcoming classes, as it's certainly something I need and want to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment