Friday 17 January 2014

Day 61: Oedipus at Kolonos, by Sophocles (translation by Robert Bagg) ...and EAS Audition.

I'll keep my commentary on both the reading and the audition brief. I'm writing this a day late and wrestling with partly wanting to ignore the entire project (at least for the day) and partly knowing now it's more important than ever to throw myself back in and keep swimming.

Really enjoyed the story here, complete with a mysterious "how did he die" cliffhanger ending Moffat would have been proud of. I did find myself noticing the text feeling a little bit more modern-sounding than I expected, mixed in with other phrases which read like the careful word-for-word translations I remember from learning latin at school. Once again I find myself feeling I can't really comment too much on the translation when I wouldn't be able to read the original and haven't seen any other translations.

I'll admit my focus was a little bit more on this evening's audition than on the reading for the day, so I'll turn a bit of attention to that. For my monologue, I was aware of keeping myself a bit close and protected... exactly what led to doing the T-rex impression in practice. Good to know what my default nervous "tell" is, now I can keep an eye out for it. I could feel myself holding back... and I'll cut to the spoiler, I didn't get in. Thinking about it though, I am five years out of practice, particularly with opening up to an audience. I'll still be doing the weekly Improvers classes, and hopefully that will help me get back some of the confidence I've lost over the years. I suspect not having slept well the night before also didn't help.

No comments:

Post a Comment