Wednesday 29 January 2014

Day 73: EAS, script work and character development

Since I have a fair amount of experience with building characters for LARP, and friends seem to point to that as encouragement for my acting aspirations, I decided to start building stats and a background for a charater based on Imogen as a way to help me find a deeper character to slip into for her monologue. It did lead me to the realisation that the sonnet I've chosen to start preparing for the RADA certificate actually isn't as contrasted a theme as I first thought. Imogen has wound up where she is now after being (wrongfully) accused of cheating on her man... and Sonnet 121 is basically saying "if I'm gonna be accused I may as well have fun with it". It's a totally different attitude, but the trigger is the same. I'm not sure whether I want to keep that and use the argument that the contrast is in the way the two voices approach the accusation, or just try to find something completely different.

EAS class today saw the start of duo/group script work. I've been given the opening scene from "The Goat, or Who is Silvia?" in which I play half of an older married couple. My "husband" is supposed to be 50, it's not explicitly stated how old I'm meant to be, but playing much older than I am is pretty tricky for me. This is certainly going to be an interesting challenge - not just because it's a shift from my usual playing age by quite a way, but also in bringing a certain level of intimacy to the scene, even if it's no further than an occasional touch of the hand or shoulder alongside an ease of personal space. I'm aware of the trust excersise that's bubbling away under the surface, and it's a useful lesson. I'm looking forward to exploring that a bit more next week - I came to this looking for challenges and it's good to see that there are areas I might not have thought of to work on which are being stretched.

No comments:

Post a Comment